I found this wonderful recipe, used a few alternative ingredients, and ended up with one of the most amazing casseroles I've ever made OR eaten! Here is the original recipe. Brown Eyed Baker gets the credit for this incredible dish!
I was very nervous that it would be the usual homemade mac & cheese - dry, dry, dry. I was wrong. It turned out to be beautiful. It was so moist, so cheesy, so delicious. I will definitely be making this again.
1 lb. pasta
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup Uncle Bob's gluten-free all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon onion powder
Salt & pepper, to taste
5 cups milk
4 cups shredded 4-blend Mexican cheese (from Costco)
15 Ritz-type crackers, crushed
1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and transfer to large mixing bowl.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk in the flour, then add the onion powder, salt, and pepper. Gradually whisk in the milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens and the mixture begins to boil. (This takes a good 5-10 minutes!) Add the cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.
- Add the sauce to the pasta and stir until the pasta is coated with sauce.
- Pour the mixture into a 9x13 baking dish. Mix together the crushed crackers and melted butter until all of the crumbs are moistened, and then sprinkle over the top of the pasta mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until golden and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes and serve.